New to the world of yoga? These easy and effective standing yoga poses are a great place to start! You’ll feel strengthened and more energized in no time.
Practicing yoga regularly can help you lose weight, increase flexibility, and manage stress. So if you’ve been trying to live a healthier lifestyle, add some yoga to your routine!
Yoga can be an intense workout, but standing yoga poses for beginners can provide you with the same benefits as more difficult moves while introducing you to the foundation you’ll need to tackle more intense moves when you’re ready.
If you’re curious about yoga but intimidated by all the contortionists you see on Instagram, ease into it with these simple yoga poses!
Easy Standing Yoga Poses to Get You Started
While practicing yoga, it’s important to focus on breathing properly. Breathing correctly during yoga can help clear your mind and relax your body. Once you have the breathing down, you’re ready to tackle these poses!
- Stand on your yoga mat with your feet together and your palms on the outside of your thighs.
- Flex your quadriceps to raise your kneecaps and lift your chest.
- Draw your shoulders back and lift your chin.
This yoga pose looks like you’re standing upright on a yoga mat. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
Upon closer inspection, there’s actually a lot going on under the surface. This position improves your posture and balance while grounding you. Once you have this move down, you’ll be ready to transition to another one!
- Start by standing with your feet together and slowly raise one foot and place it on the opposite leg’s inner thigh.
- Hold your hands in front of you as if in prayer.
- Hold for 8-10 breaths, then switch sides.
This beginner yoga pose requires a good deal of balance and focus. If you can’t seem to stay balanced on one foot for 8-10 breaths, re-center and try again or hold the position for as long as you are able.
3. High Lunge
- Get into a lunge position with your front knee aligned over your front foot and your back leg stretched out behind you.
- Raise your arms over your head with your palms facing each other.
This pose engages your leg, arm, and abdominal muscles.
4. Warrior 2
- This pose starts from the high lunge position.
- Turn your back foot 45 degrees and line up the center of your back foot with your front foot.
- Move your arms in opposite directions in front and behind you, with your palms facing down.
This is a picturesque yoga pose that will stretch your hips and leave you feeling empowered!
Beginner’s Yoga Advice You Can Trust
Yoga can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. If weight loss is your goal, these standing yoga poses can get you a slimmer physique and even help you tone your face!
If improving your flexibility and physique are your goals this summer, yoga can help you achieve them! If you still think you need a little help, learning a few new exercises can help you get six pack abs this summer!